To Make The Dough:
1. Make the dough one day ahead of when you plan to make the pizza. Start by sprinkling the yeast in the warm water. Let it rest for about 10 minutes.
2. Mix the salt and flours together in a large bowl. Add the olive oil into the flour and mix it with your hands until it is combined with the flour. Next, add the yeast and warm water mixture to the flour, until just combined.
3. The dough mixture will be sticky! This is OK, you want it to be sticky, but dry enough you can form it into a ball. Form the dough mixture into a ball.
4. Add a teaspoon of olive oil to another bowl. Place the ball into the bowl and toss the ball in the olive oil to coat it. Then cover the dough with plastic, and cover the top of the bowl tightly with another piece of plastic. Place in the fridge until the next day. Take it out 1/2 an hour before you begin to make the pizza.cyprus pizza recipe afrodite's kitchen
To Make The Sauce:
5. Make the sauce (you can also make this one day ahead and place it in the fridge). Add the drained tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and passata in a blender. Pulse a couple times (you don’t want the sauce to be too smooth at this stage).
6. In a large saucepan on medium heat butter and oil until melted. Add garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano and salt to taste. Cook for about 1 to 2 minutes. Then add tomato, onion, basil and sugar. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat to lowest setting, stirring occasionally and let reduce for about 45 minutes. Season to taste with additional salt. Let cool, and then pulse the sauce again in a blender to make it smooth for spreading purposes.
To Make The Pizza:
7. Preheat oven to its highest setting (225C).
8. Sprinkle a little all purpose flour on an overturned baking sheet and spread it around with your fingers.
9. Take about half of the pizza dough form the bowl and stretch it into a large rectangle. Use your fingers to spread the dough. Don’t worry if holes appear, just pinch them together with your fingers. The dough should be very thin.
10. Then generously spread tomato sauce on the dough. (You can also cook the dough for 5 to 7 minutes and then add the tomato sauce for a more “saucy” feel to it. I usually add an additional tablespoon of sauce to the pizza once I remove it from the oven. You can also add a tablespoon of olive oil together with the tomato sauce at this stage for added taste – and also add your pizza toppings at this stage. I added my toppings once I removed the pizza from the oven because I wanted fresh salad on top.)
11. Bake for 12 to 17 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
12. Remove from pan and slice with a pizza cutter. Garnish with fresh rocket, spring onions, pumpkin seeds and shaved parmigiano reggiano and enjoy!