Category:Pastries & Sweets
For the crumble:
- 300g (2 1/3 cups) MITSIDES Plain Flour (sieved with a pinch of salt)
- 175g (3/4 cup) brown sugar
- 200g unsalted butter, cut in cubes and at room temperature
- Knob of butter for greasing
For the filling:
- 450g apples, peeled and cut into 1cm pieces
- 50g (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon MITSIDES Plain Flour
- 1 pinch of cinnamon
For the crumble
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350F
- Place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Take a few cubes of butter at a time and run into the mixture and continue doing so until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
For the filling
- Place the fruit in a large bowl and the sprinkle over the sugar, flour and cinnamon. Stir well but try not to break up the fruit.
- Butter a 24cm cake tin, place the fruit mixture at the bottom and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until the crumble is golden brown and the fruit mixture is bubbling.
- Serve with thick cream or custard.