Cheddar, Chive and Lountza Scones
Category:Breads & Doughs
- 2 cups Mitsides Village Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cold, chopped into small cubs
- 2/3 cup buttermilk (or add 2 tablespoons yogurt to a 3/4 of a cup and fill up the remaining space with milk)
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped Lountza, or smoked ham
- 1/2 cup grated yellow cheddar
- 2 tablespoons finely diced chives, or spring onions
- Preheat the oven to 200C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour and baking powder with a fork.
- Rub the butter into the flour mixture with the heel of your hand to create a coarse meal.
- Add the cheddar, Lountza and chives and toss the mixture together.
- In a small bowl, mix together the egg and buttermilk.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and use your hands to create a soft dough. It will be sticky.
- Form 6 free form scones and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.